Friday, April 07, 2006

Acting

Our Shakespeare play is over! I am very relieved, but also a little sad. The kids are always cute, well at least most of them, on the stage, and they always pull everything together for the formal performances. It also helps to see others perspectives of the 6th graders as they perform. I tend to forget sometimes how young 6th graders actually are. Parents and other teachers always comment, "How did you get them to memorize all those lines?!" Or be completely amazed at what their children could do.
I have to admit that even will all the stress it gave me this year, I love directing. Know how much they will enjoy the performing, even with nervousness, all the hard work is worth it! They learn so much: about being in front of people, speaking, theatrical performances, Shakespeare, and what they themselves are actually capable of doing. Of course I would like them to do more than just stand on the stage and say their lines, but for some, that task is hard enough! My favorite part is to see those with a natural ability to act that just comes out as they are really getting into the story. They'll project their voices, use their arms and move freely on the stage.
I have to also admit that I also enjoy demonstrating how to act for them. For example, one of the scenes has 3 drunk characters laughing and singing. So I demonstrated laughing loudly and what seemed to be uncontrollably. They were quite surprised when I suddenly stopped and then proceeded to speak in my normal voice in how they could do it too.
Doing the Shakespeare play always makes me what to get into acting, b/c I really enjoy it. Last year I thought I'd try out for some of the local theaters during the summer months. But by the time summer came, I chickened out again b/c I haven't really acted very much. I was in the school play in 10th gr, was a student director in 11th, and was in the Shakespeare play in 12th, but that is all. I just don't know if I'm good enough to even tryout. Dad did comment after my Sh. play in 12th gr that I was the best actor, and that that was his unbiased opinion. I also realized yesterday, that I regularly act different ways in my different life roles. So you could say that I treat life as a big stage sometimes. But doesn't everyone do this, or am I the only one?
So what do you think? Should I take the plunge and just go tryout? If I do, and I make it, I hope there won't be conflicts with reunion and my DC trip that some friends and I are planning.

10 comments:

Mark said...

There is a seminar at work next week thats something about theatrics in the workplace ... I think the presenter is more into trust exercises and such, but I think I will have to check it out.

I was musing today about how I sometimes intentionally "act" at work - usually it has to do with acknowledging a disparity between what I AM doing versus what feel I WANT to do.

My boss commented today that she likes how I don't bring mood baggage into meetings, noting that others on her team do and it adversely affects the whole group.

I don't think I am being a hypocrite or disengenuous - just letting higher rationality reign in the base emotional responses (or in other circles submitting the natural man to the influence of the Holy Ghost).

Anyway ... I prob'ly ought to write on my own blog if I am going to go on like this ...

Congratulations Caroline and go for it!

Peanut said...

Congrats on being done with the play! I'm sure it was great. And I think you should definitely check out local theaters (not Movies 8!) :)

B said...

I'm sorry I missed the play this year...I didn't think I could manage all three kids there , the two alone were enough of a challenge last year. But I'll bet it was great! Those kids love working with you and they do sucha great job.

I'll add my voice to the chorus, "Go for it!" I think you be fantastic!

Shana said...

Yeah...you should definitely take the plunge and try out. You will never regret trying but you will always regret not trying. The worst they could say is "no" and I can't imagine that happening. And you know, you can always crash at our house during your DC trip like you did that one time coming from Boston. Or let us know when you'll be in DC and maybe we'll come meet ya. We keep talking about a trip down there, but it's very tricky with a job, school and a bunch of other kids in the mix. But we'd love to see ya, if we could work it out. Good luck and congrats on a job well done.

Anonymous said...

Go for it.

Regarding schedules - around here there are lots of opportunities, and I suspect there are there too. (If there aren't, you could always move to MN.) There are some that will conflict - and others that won't. Look around enough and I'm sure you'll find things you'd like to perform in that work for your schedule.

mph

Taffy said...

Jump at the chances you have. They may not always be there. There are many things that I thought I would like to do but chickened out. I've always regretted it. So I've learned to just go for it. You have tallent. Show it off!

Ree said...

Yes, yes yes! Try out despite your nerves! I wish I hadn't been so chicken about those things when I was younger. I love being married and having children, but there are some hobbies and activities that are easier to pursue when you don't have four other people to take care of. It seems to me this is the perfect time for you to try out everything you are interested in!

Mark said...

Amen to Anne Marie's comment.

I have done a lot with music, theater, etc., but the role I still play too often is the chicken. Sometimes it is truly out of fear of failure, but sometimes I think I am actually afraid of success.

The magic is that when you have fulfilled your dreams, you don't run out of them, rather you will find new dreams that are EVEN BETTER.

GO FOR IT and never stop listening to your heart.

Mark said...

"And when you dream, dream big,
As big as the ocean blue.
Cause when you dream it might come true.
So When you dream, dream big."

Coach said...

Last weekend was our yearly Frolics show for the med school. Every class does a half hour skit and then the "Golden Foley" award goes to the best class skit. Anyway, it has turned into this monster tradition in which full scale musical productions are done and it's really competitive. Every year I think I'm going to go for a singing part the next year and then I chicken out. Well, I wish I hadn't so I'll fall in line with everyone else's advice. Good luck!